Wednesday, December 15, 2010

In Cowboy Country

A very mixed day in the life and times of Westward Ho. But we made 550 miles today!  Left Iowa before sunrise, and the weather cooperated-- as Bob said, like the Red Sea parting before us! Rest of the country is a weather mess, and we had dry clear roads all day--except in Sidney, where it snowed for fifteen minutes! Drove thru long, long Nebraska skipping all the fascinating-sounding museums along the way (like Museum of the Pioneer Farmer, Museum of Old Military Vehicles, etc. Maybe some summer we'll come back. Didn't even stop for Buffalo Bill's ranch!)

As the drive progressed, Bob and I both started feeling a little ill--headaches/ flushed faces, etc.  Was it Nebraska or a cold coming on?? Cully slept peacefully between rest stops. So we did get off the road in Sydney to get hot soup and other provisions, and almost quit at 1 pm after 400+ miles. Then the sun came out, so we pressed on to Cheyene where we are now holed up at our second Motel 6!  (And yes, I did check for bedbugs!) We're feeling better now but are concerned about the health of the van which is sorta skipping a bit. Elevation? Spark plug?   We'll get it checked out early in the AM, then hit the still clear road cross Wyoming for Salt Lake City. There the weather hole looks like it might close on us.
wish us luck!

love,

L,B,C

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you guys are certainly making the miles. I'm impressed.

    Sorry about the van. Hope it's nothing big. We also know about stuff like that.

    Love the pictures!

    Love, Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would not be the first time the Self boyz got a van in trouble at high altitude!! Don't let HISTORY repeat itself. Keep care of those emerging colds and other health-related happenings. And, more skin! :-)

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh-oh! That weird skipping thing happened to us too- we figured it was the oxygen sensor having trouble with the elevation. I hope it's better today! And hope you guys feel better too!! Westward ho, oh pioneers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures and narrative--thanks for reminding me of the drive home. I have to say, I prefer reliving those particular memories through pictures though.

    I hope you're both feeling better, and that the van gets over the hiccups. Safe travels. Another big hug to Cully.

    ReplyDelete